In January 2018, Viola Altmann was officially appointed as a Visiting Fellow in Rehabilitation Sciences at the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences of the Loughborough University.
This appointment is an extension of a long term research collaboration between the International Wheelchair Rugby Federation (IWRF) and the Peter Harrison Center for disability sports.
As a medical doctor in Rehabilitation Medicine, and an experienced classifier in wheelchair rugby with a PhD, working on the impact of trunk impairment on activity limitation with a focus on wheelchair rugby, Viola brings a strong background in classification in Paralympic sports and knowledge of health conditions and the resulting impairments. In her work as a medical doctor, Viola focuses on the application of movement analysis in rehabilitation practice and minimizing the impact of impairment on activities in adults with neuromuscular disease.
Funding for the above research project has been provided by a classification grant awarded to the IWRF from the IPC, and cooperation from the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences of the Loughborough University. The study will focus on determining the impact of arm impairment on performance in wheelchair rugby players.
Aims & Objectives:
- Establish a reliable and valid measure for arm and trunk impairment
- Assess the relationship between trunk and arm impairment and activity limitation in wheelchair and ball activities both in standardized testing and on court
- Provide a method and data to support the development of Evidence Based Classification in Paralympic sports
Classification of coordination impairment
Aims & Objectives:
- Establish reliable and valid measures of coordination impairment of the arms and the trunk
- Establish the relationship between coordination impairment and activity limitation
- Provide a method and data to support the development of Evidence Based Classification of coordination impairment
- Medical Doctor Sint Maartenskliniek, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
- PhD ‘Impact of trunk impairment on activity limitation with a focus on wheelchair rugby’ (Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium, 2015)
- International classifier, International Wheelchair Rugby Federation (IWRF)
For more information please email email@example.com